It Is Best To Be Prepared For Storms Before They Happen
Mother Nature is completely unpredictable. Everything from a Hurricane, to a Tornado, to Severe Thunderstorms, to Blizzards, etc. can happen and bring along with it a lot of damage. It is always best to be prepared year-round, for storms. Especially in the case of a hurricane, you want to be sure you have prepared an emergency supply kit. To be best prepare you want to make sure that you are not just ready for the storm itself, but for the days that follow. This is necessary because with the larger storms it sometimes takes a few days for essential services to be restored.
An emergency supply kit should contain enough supplies not just to get through the storm, but for the potentially lengthy aftermath. Make sure to have enough non-perishable food and water to last each family member three to seven days. Other essential items include:
- Copies of insurance papers and identification sealed in a watertight plastic bag
- Copies of any necessary medical records
- First-aid kit
- Weather radio and batteries
- Charged phone chargers/ Battery packs
- Needed prescription medicines
- Sleeping bag or blankets
- Changes of clothes
- Hygiene items such as toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and deodorant
- Pet supplies including food, water, leashes, bedding, muzzle and vaccination records.
During storms, make sure you stay tuned to a trusted local news source and keep a battery-powered radio nearby for weather and evacuation information. Also heed to the warnings of your state and local officials and evacuate quickly when told to do so. Do not ignore or wait on evacuation orders. They are in place for a reason.
If you experience any Storm Damage to your home, Water Damage, Fire Damage or Mold, then give us a call at 336-379-1772. At SERVPRO of Burlington, we are here for you 24/7 and 365 days a year.