What Are The Dangers of Leaving Cooking Unattended?
The holidays are right around the corner and while this is one of the most exciting times of the year it’s critical that you not forget all the information learned from Fire Prevention Week the first week of October. In the haze of hosting extended family from out of town and preparing a large meal for everyone, it’s easy to fall back into old habits. Thanksgiving according to the National Fire Protection Agency is the day where the highest rates on average of home fires take place, unfortunately.
Fires can quickly spread throughout your home in a matter of minutes and while they can start from electrical malfunction or arson; cooking fires make up the plurality of home fires according to the National Fire Protection Agency. From 2014-2018, 66% on average to be exact. Kitchen fires from cooking may result in significant damage to your home. Leaving cooking unattended to welcome guests or attend to children, even for a few minutes is highly discouraged. Cooking a turkey especially should be done with the utmost care and attention.
Fires from cooking left unattended may also cause large swaths of the interior of your home to fill with smoke. Smoke may damage your kitchen appliances and countertops requiring a professional fire restoration crew to attend to them. Smoke may also spread into other areas of the home layering furniture with soot. Soot may be difficult to get out of your home and contacting an experienced fire restoration to mitigate the damage is crucial to preserving the integrity of each item.
If your home or business is in need of our services whether for fire, water, flood, mold, or storm damage; perhaps even deep cleaning services, call the experts today – SERVPRO of Burlington, (336) 229-1156.