Winter is Coming--What to Do!
A winter storm can keep you stuck indoors for days without any power. How do you make preparations for a snowstorm?
- If you live in a town where it snows often, it is a good idea to invest in a gas-powered generator. A reliable generator and fuel supply can save your keister.
- Inspect your chimney and clean it before winter.
- Get a radio that uses batteries.
- Make sure you have batteries.
- Clean your gutters and ensure your roof is stable.
- Make sure your walls and attics are properly insulated.
- Stock up on blankets and keep em nearby.
- Make sure you have a fully-stocked first aid kit.
- Learn first aid for hypothermia and frostbite.
- Make sure you have a functioning fire extinguisher.
- Get sand, ice salt, or kitty litter for icy surfaces.
What to do just before a storm:
- You'll need to stock up on fuel for the generator.
- Charge all phones, rechargeable batteries, and power banks.
- Collect your flashlights and load em up with batteries.
- Fill your gas tank and have spare gas at the ready.
- Make sure you have plenty of non-perishable foods and toilet paper.
- Bring pets and plants indoors.
- Make sure your oven and stove are clean and work with no issues.
- Let all faucets drip slowly and insulate exposed pipes with newspapers or other insulation materials.